Strabismus is a condition in which the eyes are misaligned and/or do not move together. It occurs in children and adults alike, but the frequency of occurrence in adults is higher, yet it is often regarded as a childhood condition. Unlike strabismus in children, adult strabismus is almost always onset, which means it begins in adulthood and is caused by another underlying condition.
Adult strabismus could be either from a residual childhood strabismus or newly onset in adulthood. Newly onset strabismus generally results from an abnormality of the neuromuscular control of eye movement. Some of the conditions associated with adult strabismus includes:
- Strokes which is the leading cause of strabismus in adults
- Neurological problems
- Trauma to the head
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Down syndrome
- Brain tumors
- Cerebral palsy
Other than the obvious symptom of the eye or eyes being misaligned, Newly onset strabismus in adult patients is almost always associated with vision problems such as double vision or depth perception, while a condition that is a reappearance of a residual childhood condition is not. There are other factors for adults who have eye misalignment such as dealing with psychological/social factors which can hinder social interaction, self-confidence and employment opportunities. Everyone deserves to have straight eyes and here at the Orbit Eye Center in Dubai, you can be confident that your specific case is in safe hands with Dr. Walid Abdalla who has deep knowledge and many years of experience treating adult strabismus.
Treatment of strabismus in adults is not necessarily for cosmetic reasons only. As mentioned above, it can be accompanied with debilitating double vision. Fortunately, strabismus in adults is a treatable condition and there are many treatment options for it. The choice of treatment is typically based on the severity of strabismus. Surgery on the eye muscles to realign the eye is the most effective option with very positive results cosmetically and can often improve vision problems as well.
- Eye muscle realignment surgery
- Eyeglasses/contact lenses: This is used for patients with refractive errors.
- Prism lenses: For some patients, strabismus can be improved by placing prisms in their glasses. These are special lenses that aid the eye by reducing the amount of turning it needs to do in order to look at objects.
- Orthoptics exercises.
- Medications: Eye drops or ointments. Also, injections can relax an overactive eye muscle. These treatments may be used with, or instead of, surgery, depending on the severity of the patient’s condition.
Strabismus/ Squint Specialist – Dr. Walid Abdalla
Dr. Walid Abdalla is a renowned squint specialist in Dubai. He has successfully conducted 500+ strabismus surgeries for kids and adults. He is known also for his innovative non-surgical squint therapy that has yielded tremendous results. Know More
Consult the best Squint Surgery specialist in Dubai - Dr. Walid Abdalla
- Advanced Treatments & TechnologyExperience High Standards of Care at Orbit Eye Center
- Book An Appointment Now